Who Should Register Stock?
The NACA Registry exists to preserve the Corriente Cattle bloodlines, and to support your ability to find quality Corriente Cattle, but you have a role too. The association is funded through your cattle registrations and transfers. Without them, the association, the herdbook and all the accompanying benefits, would cease to exist. We ask all members to register and transfer their stock to help support the preservation of this heritage breed.
Why You Should Register Your Corriente Cattle
Registering your cattle will increase the value of the herd well beyond the minor cost of the registration fees. Buyers place a premium on the knowledge that your herd does not include the genetics of other breeds. Registration Certificates and the accompanying pedigree back up the legitimacy of your herd and provide a history of each animal.
These days there is an enormous demand for roping cattle and supplies are low. Cattle of any quality are fairly easily marketed, including obvious cross bloods. As markets inevitably change, the best pureblood cattle retain the highest market value and are still in great demand. These cattle are “best” due to careful herd management and production records encouraged by the North American Corriente Association and taught through educational articles and research.
Generally speaking, registered heifers and bulls sell for 20 – 40% more than commercial cattle, and can bring much more than that. A well-managed herd produces remarkably even, dependable, athletic roping steers and most breeders enjoy repeat buyers who pay a premium.
Pureblood Corrientes retain the traditional traits of the original Spanish cattle brought to the Americas. They are hardy, disease resistant, efficient foragers and free of calving problems. The registry itself is the headquarters for the preservation of this heritage breed, and by supporting it through the registration of your cattle you will be contributing to the promotion, conservation, and research of the breed.
Why should I buy registered Corriente stock?
There are so many reasons for registering your stock and buying registered stock, whether you are a breeder, roper or beef producer.
- Conservation: Registries are an essential part of breed conservation
- Education: Registries are a great source for learning more about the breed, its attributes, its history and how to raise them
- Breeding: Pedigrees ensure that an animal is purebred and its ancestry is known. This means it will breed true to type and produce consistent, replicable and predictable characteristics in its progeny.
- Diversity: Without a registry, you won’t be able to find breeders with known quality. The genetics will disappear or become too inline within a lifetime. Ask China what happened when they put the wall up and couldn’t access fresh genetics. If a country can’t keep up good genetic lines, you can’t on your ranch. You need other breeders with known quality.
- Preservation: To help preserve a historic, but “lightly populated” breed
- Purchase: To guarantee purchase of true, quality, proven Corriente genetics
- Health: To ensure that you are buying healthy, properly vaccinated, domestically raised cattle
- Value: Proven quality and proven genetics means the herd is more valuable than grade roping cattle
- Sporting and Performance: Corriente from registered stock perform better than cattle of mixed or unknown genetic background
- Ownership: Because sometimes it comes in handy to have some proof of ownership for neighbors, insurance, theft. This isn’t legal proof, but let’s just say, we get calls in all of these situations and it can make a difference.
- Quality Beef: To reassure any beef customers that they are getting a true lean-meat, low cholesterol animal, not something of unknown origin and make-up. It’s Corriente Beef because we can verify it’s history; not because of it’s hide color.
- They are the original cattle on this Continent,
and it’s your duty as an American!
(Ha Ha! What’s life if you can’t have a little fun?)
And the NUMBER ONE REASON to
Buy and Sell Registered Corriente Cattle…..